This has to be about the worlds quickest and easiest chicken dish and just what you need after a hard long day in the bush.
- 1kg of chicken (thighs, breasts, legs . . whatever you have)
- 1 pack of french onion soup mix
- 1 can of apricot nectar
Mix all threes ingredients together in your pot or camp oven and cook gently until chicken is cooked through - probably about 30 minutes.
Of course you can always add some diced onions, frozen veggies or any other fresh veggies you have handy but it's not essential.
While the chicken is cooking, make yourself some steamed rice to go with it and you're done (see recipe below)
Easy Steamed Rice
Steamed rice is easy to make in a pot with a lid that seals well as long as you're able to get the gas temperature down very low.
It should take just about the same amount of time to cook as the chicken so you'll be eating dinner within 30 minutes of when you start.
Here's how you do it . .
- Add 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of cold water in a saucepan.
- Put lid on saucepan and bring to the boil on the stovetop.
- When the water starts boiling, reduce it to the lowest simmer that you can and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the gas off and leave it to steam for another 15 minutes
- Fluff up the rice with fork and it's ready to serve with your apricot chicken.
IMPORTANT - Don't take the lid off at any point during the simmering or steaming process.